Thursday, April 14, 2005

Marjorie's Time-Wasting Responses to the Chainblog Book Meme

marjorie says... ok - erik - but do I have to be erudite? and...in the interests of protecting my A.D.D. addled brain, I have limited my responses to fiction.

If you were stuck inside Farenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
If I were a fireman: Anything by Ayn Rand
If I were an underground book priestess: Beloved

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
No, although I have been turned on.

The last book you bought is?
The Twenty Seventh City by Jonathan Franzen

What are you currently reading?
Stories by Doris Lessing
Daughter of Earth by Agnes Smedley

Five books you would take to a deserted island?
Ha! Mikaela, I was writing this while you were posting. Here is my editorial comment: Ok - Imagine the objections to this question and picture them written in this space - you all know them. So, that out of the way, if I had to pick some books to read during a period (?) of uninterrupted time, I would surely pick one or two on my unread books list. But, in the interest of answering this question, and in the interest of categorizing - here are five books I have read one time, that were intense experiences (of various sorts) for me at the time, and which I would like to revisit in the interest of seeing how time has passed, perhaps on a deserted island:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby
All Men are Mortal by Simone de Beauvoir
Another Country by James Baldwin
Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee

So…if you would like to know what books are in my own personal canon -- that I find myself picking up again and again, send a message and I’ll share, across genres. But, please, don’t make me pick five.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
Probably nobody. But…if any of our dear readers are feeling it, it would be, of course, great to read your replies to the questions and/or comments about mine.