Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sublime Spring Salads

Maggie says:
Nothing says spring to me like the return of eating light and green. Ever since it got warm enough to leave my coat behind, I've been craving fresh salads and tiptoeing out of my winter cooking rut. The latest salads I've stumbled upon are truly new classics for me; they're that good. So here, in honor of spring and all things fresh, are two yummy salads you should make with a smile, and I'm dedicating them to Sasha and MaryBeth.

Spring Lettuce Salad with Roasted Asparagus
If the smell of roasted asparagus and fresh lemon zest doesn't make you close your eyes and smile, I don't know what's wrong with you. A classic lemony, mustardy dressing with fresh parmesan harkens spring like nobody's business. I could eat this one for days. In fact, I ignored a second helping of gumbo to polish off the platter the other night.


Citrus Parmesan Farro Salad
These seemingly disparate ingredients come together in a massive blast of hearty goodness that's as fresh and invigorating as it is seriously nutritious. The substance of the farro is lightened by bright citrus and crunchy greens in a beautiful way. Splurge on the best local goat cheese you can find and it'll add a luxurious creaminess you won't believe.