Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My Perfect Storm

Mikaela says:
Forget politics! What does the leader of the free world have next to the power of one bodiless voice that has changed my life through ... storytelling?

Okay, don't answer that.

But here's why I'm suddenly in a good mood today (although, okay, I admit I actually choked up watching Caroline Kennedy endorse Obama, even though my stone-hearted self kicked back in watching Ted Kennedy, who ... never had me, even at "hope").

I went to my favorite kid-in-the-candy-store (Freudian typo - I just wrote "story") website, This American Life, and what did I see? Not one but TWO things that made my day. Damn. Wish I had seen them one day at a time to space out my joy. Then it coulda made my WEEK.

But I digress.

Okay, Thing 1:

This American Life is considering putting together one of those weird movie theatre satellite live show things. You know, like they did for Mozart's Magic Flute or something? I missed it, and kicked myself for not having heard of it in time to sit my ass in an Albuquerque theatre and hear really good opera in a cultural vortex, so to speak (ha ha).

I'm sorry, but that is too cool. It's already cool that This American Life boasts one of the largest radio audiences -- 1.7 million listeners a week, but how cool is it to bring them together in every community across America? COOL, right? As a big ole community lover, I am beside myself.

If you, too, are pretty excited by this idea, you can tell them so through a very short online survey.

Want TAL to Come to a Movie Theater Near You? Take a Quick Survey!

Okay, Thing 2:
Next week's show is called "Tough Room" and it features a story from ... oh my do I wish for a drumroll here! ...

The Onion "newsroom."

Yes, that's right. It's happened. My perfect storm. This American Life. The Onion. The only thing that could be better is if they happened to interview the girls from Threadbared and the Albuquerque's own Pajama Men. And let's face it, I would die of bliss, and I'm not ready to go, so I'm very satisfied that it's just the Onion and Ira. My upbeat lifeboats, keeping my spirits floating and my hand clamped firmly over my mouth to keep from laughing out loud at a very, very quiet and serious office (with half-wall cubicles).

Wait a minute, wait a minute! Does this have anything to do with the Onion's spoof on This American Life, which Ira said really hurt his feelings? I guess they worked it out, or maybe the Onion realized its own lack of diversity of stories (although it does better w/ class if not race).

Wait a minute, WHO CARES??? Not me! I am blissful, finally.

Ahhhh... Except that I have to wait until next week to hear the show!