Tuesday, January 04, 2005

MoveOn Petition against torture (and Alberto Gonzales)

Mikaela says:

Incidentally, here's a link to sign a petition to Congress against torture. Decently articulate and fairly complete.

My message:

As an American, I am terrified at the direction my country is headed. Please stop the appointment of Alberto Gonzales as a first step toward justice and away from tyranny. As a protector and indeed champion of torture, he must be sent packing as a message to the world and to ourselves that we believe in humanity -- ours and everyone else's.

P.S. Washington Post has a great editorial about Guantanomo and U.S. torture. I haven't heard anyone speak out so explicitly against what is clearly U.S. policy. Nice Orwell/Kafka references, too, for literary types such as myself.