Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Jeffords is out - who's in?

Maggie says:
Today's news tells us that Senator Jim Jeffords of Vermont, once a Republican and now an Independent, will not be running for reelection. Some thoughts:

1. I remember the morning four years ago when he announced he was leaving the Republican party. I was getting ready for work in Boston and couldn't believe the news - it meant the Republicans would lose their majority. I walked to work listening to his speech on my Walkman just thrilled that the tide was turning. If I only I knew how much worse things would get! (By the way, I realize that telling this story reveals the true extent of my nerdiness, but really, is that such a surprise?) That morning Jeffords showed just how much courageousness he had, and he's exemplified that since. He hasn't always voted with the Democrats, but he has always voted with his conscience, and I'll take that over politicized voting any day. He will be missed, especially on environmental issues.

2. What does this mean for Howard Dean? I know he's in as DNC chair, but he'd be a sure thing in a Senate race, and that would be great for the Democrats. I'm conflicted. I wish there was another great DNC person there and then Dean could run. Ideas?

3. New England Republicans are an interesting group. They're really alone in their party. Jeffords was the first to get the hell of out of Dodge, and Collins, Snowe, and Chafee are constantly being called upon to do the same. They must feel very lonely, even more so since Jeffords rightfully abandoned them years ago. John Kerry's recent targeting of Chafee as a key swing vote on these nominations is another sign that these senators should not be forgotten by Democrats (because they sure as hell are by the Republicans). I need to do my research, but how about a Snowe-Chafee-Collins party trade for Joe Lieberman?