Sunday, June 05, 2005

Can someone destroy this woman, please?

Maggie says:
I've said it before and I'll continue to say it: nothing irks me (okay, infuriates me) quite like Republican women. Voting against your own interests is mind-blowing to me, but while I see low-income Republicans as votes we should be out there changing, I consider Republican women the epitomy of hypocrisy and frankly would rather just ignore them. Getting that angry just isn't worth it to me; I prefer my mellow sensibility to stay mellow.

But then someone like Kansas State Senator Kay O'Connor comes along, and man if she doesn't make me want to drive to Kansas and strangle her myself. O'Connor just announced she is running for Secretary of State in Kansas, against the wishes of many women in her home state who are still, oh, a little bit pissed that O'Connor proclaimed herself just a few years ago to be a "women's suffrage opponent."

What, you're asking? A woman in public office who came out saying she was against a woman's right to vote? In this century? I couldn't make this up if I tried:

"I think the 19th Amendment, while it's not an evil in and of itself, is a symptom of something I don't approve of. The 19th Amendment is around because men weren't doing their jobs, and I think that's sad. I believe the man should be the head of the family. The woman should be the heart of the family." - O'Connor in 2001

Apparently after O'Connor made these remarks, women in Kansas organized to try and push her from office, but O'Connor held on. Since then she's only referred to the incident as "silliness," adding that "I am who I am. You don't have to agree with everything I say."

This woman is either a complete idiot or completely evil: it's hard to tell which. Either she thinks women shouldn't be allowed to vote but should be allowed to run for office, or she thinks she's exempt from the rest of the "heart of the family" women in her state who don't have enough brains to think politically, or she has absolutely no self-respect at all, or she's extremely, dangerously arrogant, or she's trying to get the misogynist vote among men and fit in as "one of the boys,"or she's just the biggest danger to women when she is also a woman to hit the radar screen since... well, she'd probably be the worst.

Please, please, please to everyone out there in Kansas: find someone to run against this woman, rip her to shreds, and kick her ass at the polls. PLEASE.