Thursday, April 12, 2007

"Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." -- Kurt Vonnegut Passes

Mikaela says:
I suspect Marjorie is composing a tribute to Kurt Vonnegut, who died yesterday at the age of 84.

In the meantime, I wanted to mark his passing and share the following quote that has stayed with me from my favorite of his novels, Sirens of Titan (1959).

Harmoniums, which live off vibration, say only one of two things:

  • "I am here, I am here, I am here."
  • "So glad you are, so glad you are, so glad you are."
In a world gone crazy and murderous about our differences, I thank this fiction writer for imagining a world in which creatures can only be thankful to be alive and celebrate everyone around them, too.

"A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved."

(More great quotes from Vonnegut here and here and here.)