Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Things in Albuquerque that make me happy

Maggie says:
It's snowing outside, so this has me celebrating all the unexpected delights that make me happy in this town. There are the huge, important things that make this place click for me, starting with the amazing people here, the community spirit, the sense of change, and the natural beauty. And being newly employed isn’t bad, either. But inspired by Nora over on Duke City Fix, here’s my list of things in Albuquerque that make my consumer side happy, too.

El Paisa on Bridge (just before Isleta)
. Best dive in town. For me, there's no better (or cheaper!) lunch around than two tacos pastor with lots of onion, cilantro, and lime. I used to be addicted to El Paisa and had to pull myself away… but I was happily back last weekend after a river walk with the dog and I was smiling the whole time.

The A Store. I love this place first because I used to work there, but mostly because Jay/Josh/Hans are darling, and they have great dishes, fun jewelry, and amazing coffee. If you buy your beans here it'll be really difficult to drink coffee bought anywhere else. All the beans are great, but my favorite is the Santa Fe Blend. (I ship pounds of it back home to my family in North Carolinaseriously.)

Now We’re Cooking
. I love cooking and kitchen gadgets, and this is the go-to place for random items you'll tuck away in your drawer and hardly ever use, but love to know you have anyway.

Winning’s
. Wearing glorified pajamas, unclear about when my last shower was, hunkered down with my laptop or a good book, and eating one of their breakfast burritos... that is happiness for me.

Tully's Market
. You've probably sped by it a million times and never known that this little hole-in-the-wall joint in a strip mall on San Mateo is the best place in town to buy Italian meats, cheeses, olives, and canned goods. I'm a big romano cheese girl, and this place stands up to the cheese anywhere in town and at a lower price. I go here for my canned tomatoes every time I'm making sauce, and it's the only place in town to buy sandwich meat, as far as I'm concerned. Go for lunch to try one of their huge sandwiches (splitting the Joe D'Maggio with onions added is to die for if your lunch date will have the same breath you do!) and you'll see what I mean. Don't forget a side of their amazing olive salad with fresh, yummy olives and pickled vegetables.

The Guild. There's nothing like going to the Guild to see a great flick you’ll see nowhere else with a great group of friends. Although for anyone who was in the “Paradise Now” screening a few weeks back when six of us were making a scene in the back rows at the start of the movie… sorry.

Los Poblanos Organics. This local CSA is such a great experience. I was a member up until a year ago and am itching to get back into it. I miss the surprise and fun of getting fresh veggies every week, often things you'd never buy yourself. This project is great to support for community reasons as well as health reasons, and I urge everyone to become part of Farmer Monte’s fan club. My best LPO memory: making a soup using all the random LPO veggies I had in my fridge (I think I ended up with 19) and having my guests try to guess them all. No one could!