Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Civility is Over Rated

Marjorie says…

I enjoyed our classic approach to the State of the Union tonight…Mikaela gave her angry shout-outs, Lisa shook her head in appalled disbelief, and I just rolled my eyes and snickered. Leading off with an acknowledgement of the first female speaker of the house, Bush appealed to a thing that strikes most of us deeply…our desire for equality regardless of our gender, race, or class. It would be remiss to not point out that the real path to power in terms of political office in this country, as limited as it continues to be, clearly lies with the Democrats. Nancy Pelosi is a Democrat, and the 2008 Democratic contenders include an African American, a Latino, a Woman, and a liberal Anglo man. I like this evolvement of the Democrats, even though I find them hopeless much of the time, and even though their path to power continues to be an entrenched individual one rather than an attack on the seemingly unsolvable problem of poverty and its profound intersection with race and gender. If it were solvable, wouldn’t we have done it already? Yes, sometimes even I have these resigned, fatalistic attitudes. Tonight I am particularly feeling that way for some reason. Perhaps I should just call it the Bush effect. Please…DEMOCRATS! I want to shout…stand up and give this guy the boot! Boo him! But I know that isn’t going to happen...our parties simply aren’t that far apart. What is required in this country lies outside of the party system. As ever, let me remind my dear m-pyre readers of one of my favorite maxims: electoral politics are only one aspect of our political lives. On that note, if you’re in Albuquerque I encourage you all to join the anti-war march this Saturday. George W. doesn’t think public opinion matters, but it’s important to show the world that there are many American people who disagree with his policies.

Anti-War March Saturday, January 27th in Albuquerque

NO MORE WAR!

Albuquerque March and Rally
Saturday, January 27th 2007

11:00: Meet at 2nd and Copper (Galleria) for a march to three congressional offices
12:30: Rally at Robinson Park with the Raging Grannies (8th and Central)