Monday, January 29, 2007

And now for a public service announcement...

Mikaela advocates:
Let me start by saying I can't go to this meeting because I'll be leading another community meeting. Otherwise, I'd drag myself, even though it doesn't sound like fun. It is, however, incredibly important.

How many times have you complained about traffic? About the lack of planning in this town? About growth? More than once, I'm guessing, based on who we are and who reads our little blog.

So buck up. Finally you can do something about it -- or at least complain to the right people in a forum where you can be assured they're really listening.

What: Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) Forum
When: TOMORROW, Tuesday, January 30th, 7-9 pm
Where: First Unitarian Church (3701 Carlisle NE)
Who: 1000 Friends and ABQ Alliance for Active Living


What you can expect to hear:
  • Recommendation for a Walkable Neighborhoods Program
  • Expert & pedestrian/bicycle advocate Mark Fenton's take on the health benefits of a good MTP
  • Next steps & how to stay involved!
Other Big Shots on the Response Panel:
  • City Councilor Debbie O'Malley
  • BernCo Rep.
  • Mid-Region Council of Governments (MRCOG) Rep.
  • Claude Morelli, Walk ABQ
  • Gabriel Nims, 1000 Friends

Why go? Because this, like the U.S. Census, is the kind of seminal government action that shapes our lives in ways we almost can't perceive because it's all-pervasive.

We want to complain about government and about planning, but too often we're not willing to do the simplest little thing that can have a huge impact -- GO TO A MEETING, SIT AND LISTEN, PERHAPS RAISE YOUR HAND TO ASK A QUESTION OR SHARE AN OPINION. That's it. That's all that's required.

Pretend you're from Athens and feel really good that you're performing one of the oldest civic duties in this our long tradition of democracy. So much better than voting, I promise!

Whoever sucks it up and attends, could you let me know? And if I hear any feedback from the meeting, I promise to share it with you. Dammit, That's America! (Can you hear the patriotic music swell as we zoom in on our waving flag? Yeah, me too.)

Need a map? Click here

Suggested Donation: $5