Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Self-indulgent label talk

Maggie says:
Reporting live from Adventures in Insomnia: Night Three!

Instead of getting beauty sleep or dreaming about my upcoming trip to Los Angeles, I started playing around with the new blogger labels tonight instead. (Why yes, just as fulfilling as sleeping! Thanks for asking!)

Secretly, I love the idea of cerebral organization of one's writing, of clean categorization followed by thoughtful analysis of writing patterns. Labeling all of m-pyre, it occurs to me, could become one of those mythic tasks - think John Cusack autobiographically reorganizing his record collection in High Fidelity.

So far, I've labeled 50 m-pyre posts. There are 929 total posts.

I am an Aries. Will I see this project through to completion? Doubtful. (Although if I don't start sleeping again soon, it's a possibility.)

Some interesting findings from labeling m-pyre:

  • I'm not very creative with labels. I thought of all these cute, catchy phrases (actually, they were all sarcastic and insider in tone, but that's kind of m-pyre's version of cute and catchy), but I decided they would become annoying over time. So my labels are fairly basic, but I'm hoping the other Ms will spice things up a bit.
  • In examining the last 50 m-pyre posts, it appears that I have only blogged ten times since November 11. I knew it was bad, but yikes. My post-election showing on the blog has been downright pathetic. Worse, of those ten measly posts in three months, the vast majority are only a paragraph long and either link to something else or say that I hope to be writing again soon. That brings us up to last week, when Molly kicked my lazy writer's ass back into shape. The moral here? I've been a very, very bad blogger since the '06 election. But the silver lining? I've personally been a very, very happy person since the '06 election. Not that they're related... But um, how lame is it to say that I hope to be writing again soon?
  • I wanted to have a label called "Self-Indulgent," which is really the only thing to call certain posts. I briefly worried that M&M might get annoyed if I labeled one of their old posts self-indulgent, before realizing that only my stuff would get the label, anyway. Yet by that time, I'd moved on to the more community-minded, friendly "M-time" label to categorize our personal ramblings and random musings. That said, this post will be labeled "M-time," but we all know what it should really be called.
  • 50 down, 879 to go. So many more posts to label and labels to invent, so... much time, apparently.
Sleep. I need sleep. Marjorie, Mikaela, save me from myself!