Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy V-Day to my girls

Maggie says:
On previous Valentine’s Days I’ve expounded upon how this holiday can be problematic, given that it makes too many people feel bad about themselves and promotes buying horrendously cheesy gifts (note to men: pink stuffed animals are only a good idea when you’re in middle school). But this Valentine’s Day, I’m feeling particularly uncynical – maybe it’s the snow outside, which is just incredibly beautiful right now. I can’t bear to be biting, so instead I’ll send a V-Day message to two women who should hear good things all day long, every day: my Ms.

  • Happy Valentine’s Day to Marjorie, to her eyes full of flashing fierceness, to her gentleness that comes so full of wisdom you have to stop in order to soak it all in, to her abundant use of the term “lol” in e-mails, and to her quilt collection that brings a bit of home to a town where I sometimes desperately need it.
  • Happy Valentine’s Day to Mikaela, to her never-ending search for the right answer, to her love of words and culture and truth and creativity and her commitment to all of them, for the way she can still show me New Mexico in a brand new way, and for that beautiful moment when she stops thinking and just starts to laugh.


We’ll be out and about tonight, but I’m not allowed to say where or when. Let’s just say that words are involved, and we’ll be in full-on cheerleading mode. (But sorry, not cheerleading uniforms…)

Have a great day full of love, everyone.