Friday, January 27, 2006

Harold Washington and Racism in Chicago

Mikaela advocates:
Not to be missed (although I did for almost 10 years): my favorite and ever-growing in my estimation radio show This American Life recorded a story in 1997 about Harold Washington, the first black mayor of Chicago.

(Free and downloadable to RealPlayer. Search for "Harold," Episode 84, 11/21/1997.)

They cover the history of Chicago's political machine and the shakeup that allowed a black man to get elected mayor. They talk about all the obstacles he faced -- all but universal opposition -- not only from white communities but from the black community, too, who wanted Harold to abandon his "fairer than fair" rhetoric and funnel jobs and resources to them, just as any other ethnic mayor would be expected to do.

Not only do they talk to Harold's supporters, they sent a reporter to interview white guys at a local bar. When asked why they didn't vote for him, they say, "Because he was black." Pushed farther, they said, "We knew if he got elected, that was it for us. The North Side would turn into the South Side. They're segregated now."

I shouldn't be shocked anymore at rampant and blatant racism. But I have to say: it stuns me every time. I can understand it on some intuitive, individual level. But it's hard for me to believe the reality of wanton, unapologetic, irrational, widespread racism. I just don't get it. I don't understand what the threat is.

On some fundamental level, I have faith -- as I've heard others talk about faith in God -- in the value of multiple cultures. I see, feel, believe no threat in different colors. I just don't experience that fear. I see, feel, and believe in difference, yes. Of course. But how can one be better than another?

The system makes us unequal, but the system can -- and must be -- changed. Because it doesn't reflect reality. We're human. We're beautiful. We are innovative and spiritual. We create multiple symbols and worship life. What is to fear in that, other than one group trying to force its view onto others?

In my experience, that's usually white people forcing its culture onto all others, not the other way around, so what are white people so afraid of? Are they so insecure about their own culture that they think it would be so easily overrun or wiped out if people of another color had some power and some equal opportunity, or, god forbid, some success? Keeping others down out of fear is immoral and deeply evil. Isn't that plain to see?