Monday, July 24, 2006

Monday morning politics

Maggie says:
Lots to feel hopeful about in politics right now...

Nationally, Lieberman continues to fall behind Lamont in the Connecticut Senate primary. Last week I bitched about national coverage of this race, but then gushed in comments about the poll showing Lamont pulling ahead narrowly. Today, I heard of a newer poll that shows Lamont winning the overall race even with Lieberman running as an Independent. Woo-hoo!!! This one is so exciting to watch, and getting more so by the day. Today's Clinton visit only adds to the drama.

Locally, the Patricia Madrid campaign is on fire, with money and growing support. The opening of the South Valley office this weekend was a huge hit, according to friends and a favorite local blogger, who notes:

...I gotta hand it to the Madrid campaign for understanding the South Valley enough to know it NEEDS a "South Valley Office".
We're a quirky (no, not Querque as in "offbeat" name for Albuquerque) bunch down here. Of the 100 or so folks I saw in attendance for the Madrid shindig, a serious half to three-quarters of us did not look "normal". To be honest, the crowd at the event looked like it would have been just as comfortable at a UFO convention and/or Apostolic Church meeting. And, having lived here for six years now I can say that description fits well over half of the entire SV population.
And Patsy is gonna need well over half of the SV vote if she's gonna win in November and force me to fork over several six-packs to my more optimistic friends. It's a wager I'd love to lose, and having a "South Valley Office" makes it just a little bit more possible that I'll have to pay up come early November.

Isleta Boulevard is near and dear to my heart, and I couldn't agree more that a South Valley office is a step in the right direction for this campaign.

For more on the Madrid/Wilson race, keep tags on the Madrid Campaign Blog, Democracy for New Mexico, and New Mexico FBIHOP.

Fall is coming upon us quickly, folks. Campaign season in New Mexico - with roasting green chile in the air - is about as good as it gets.