Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Avoiding the obvious (kind of)

Maggie says:
I can’t even write about the series today. Too huge, too much, too important. There’s no way I can express what it could mean (I’ll leave that to Boston.com and ESPN’s Page 2.) Who knew that talking about the election would a comparably stress-free conversation to have at the end of October? So not the Sox today, but I can talk about some less-threatening sports items…

Like A-Rod, a bratty pretty boy that I can say I never once wanted the Sox to acquire. Can he finally go down as the prissiest player in Major League Baseball? Last night’s interference play at first base was the least macho thing I’ve ever seen in sports, really a bitch slap at the ball with a pronounced flail of the wrist to avoid being tagged. This was even lamer than his weird dance move tagging 2nd during the division series with the Twins. I think ESPN at the time euphemistically called it “the most metrosexual play in baseball.”

But seriously, although A-Rod replays will provide lots of comic relief for Sox fans during tonight’s epic Game 7, he was obviously trying to shove the ball away. And to sit there with his pouty expression arguing with the umpire is just outrageous, because the fact that he was lying was so clear. Karma comes around, and A-Rod’s the one who’ll have to look at himself every day knowing that he’s been exposed as a fraud on national television.

And that’s a lot of time for him to think about how he’s bad for baseball, because we all know how much time he spends looking at himself in the mirror anyway…