Sunday, October 17, 2004

The Red Sox live another day

Maggie says:
I swear being a Red Sox fan is taking years off my life. And I’m a made fan, not even a born one. Whether or not the extreme highs and lows experienced by loving this team kill me in the long run, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I had a heart attack every inning of tonight’s game, but right now the sheer joy of one more chance erases the trauma of the last five hours.

Instead of being swept in the ALCS, we’re now down 3-1. Overcoming that deficit would mean making history. I won't say the Sox will do it, because these odds are more than tough. But I will say that if any team can do it, it’s the Red Sox. And not because of who’s on the team or anything logical – but because the Red Sox are the most magical team in baseball, full of destiny and legend and cheered on by the best fans there are. For the Sox to finally make, it will have to be outrageous and improbable and epic. Our history practically mandates that.

In this series, we’ve seen our star pitcher sidelined, our bats silenced, and our defense weakened. But Red Sox Nation will tune in tomorrow with every hope in the world. Not because it’s reasonable to hope we can win it all – we’re not reasonable fans. (This is clearly the best team for me, since I'm an eternal optimist, too.) We’ll keep hoping because they’re the Red Sox, and we believe anything is possible.