Monday, May 23, 2005

Books, small Green Built Bungalows, and Tender Mercies

marjorie says...

Mikaela and I finally went to Bound to be Read yesterday. I just have to say, I was mighty impressed by the quantity and quality of Mikaela's book purchases. I'll let her divulge the actual figure (or not) but suffice it to say that I didn't realize I was about to witness a shopping spree. I did enjoy living through her credit card vicariously, I have to admit. For myself, well, I got a beautiful large book on vintage quilts, as well as two more pedestrian hobbyist books on quilts and bottle collecting. Yes, I am a nerd.

Before we went to the bookstore, we spent the day visiting the private homes on the Green built tour, which was quite interesting. We particularly enjoyed Ted Owen's small bungalow in Corrales, which Mikaela likened to a gingerbread house. Take a look.

Finally, I watched Tender Mercies last night, a movie that I've loved for a long time. Horton Foote apparently wrote the screenplay for Robert Duvall, and I think they both deserve the oscars they got for the effort. I particularly love it because it depicts people I feel like I know so well...small town Texans, close with their words but loving each other so much. I wish more movies like this were made.