Thursday, May 19, 2005

Let's Debate Class!

Mikaela says:
No, not "Debate Class." I mean the verb: to debate.

Why now? Good question. One I pondered, myself, when I saw, in a tiny little text box off in the desert of the NY Times sidebar, a new, three-week series on class in America. No, really. The New York Times is running a whole series on class in America ("Class Matters" -- oofda).

You mean, there are stories to tell? It's a fact to be reported? There are different classes in America? Imagine! The very idea!

Not too auspiciously, the series webpage list is headed by an article on how tough it is to have an inter-class marriage. Yep, that's the most pressing problem with class in America, and it's the problem most of us face: How to deal with the rich in-laws. Bastards. Okay, okay, I haven't actually read the article, but with a title like "When Richer Weds Poorer, Money Isn't the Only Difference," can you really blame me for not wanting to peak inside the box?

Still, I'm dying to know what the NY Times will make of class. And I'm even more curious to know what Marjorie and Eric will make of the NY Times' analysis of class.

Come on, people. It's NEWS!