Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Post Election Musings

marjorie says...

It was a very long day yesterday, so I came to work a little late. As I'm settling in here there are several things running through my mind.

Before I get to New Mexico, can I just first note the incredible moment in Nicarauga? Yes. Daniel Ortega is the new President Elect of that country. I don't have any observations to make about Ortega or what kind of impact two decades have had on the Sandinistas. Clearly they have had to change a lot. But in this moment, I think its amazing, simply amazing...that the heart-breaking Sandinista's are back. And this also represents one more domino in the resurgence of leftist governments in Latin America.

Also, KUDOS to South Dakota!!! While these mid-term elections are BIG on the congressional front, this electoral battle clearly shows the American mind-set about a woman's right to control her own body.

Now...on to the congressional races. Regardless of what happens here in NM-District 1, we can all breathe a huge sigh of relief that our federal government is no longer controlled by crazy right wingers. Because let's face it, the House is the place most of the real ones end up. I still don't think much will change, but am looking forward to watching the Democrats.

As for NM-District 1...how is it that we have such a razor thin margin here? Well, I think its due to the military presence, which represents a large pool of people who do go out and vote. We have a lot of work to do to counteract that presence if we want to send a Democrat to the House. It'll be very interesting to see how the numbers break down by precinct in the coming days.