Monday, June 19, 2006

Bittersweet

Maggie says:
Tonight I'm reuniting with my TV, which has been turned off for as long as I can recall. My TV night has been a fairly diverse experience, considering that I've watched the end of the hockey game, a dorky PBS show called "History Detectives" that sucked me in because I'm nerdy enough to own a book written by one of the "detectives," a program on Nat King Cole (fascinating stuff on how the high viewership of his television show wasn't enough to secure a [white] corporate sponsor), and now Charlie Rose, whose guest tonight is Al Gore.

I'm feeling bittersweet watching good 'ol Al because had he only sounded half this engaging, witty, warm, and passionate during the campaign, things could have been different.

While I'm at it: had John Kerry sounded half as engaging, witty, warm, and passionate on the campaign trail as he did when I interned for him forever ago, feet up on the conference table and pizza dripping all over his shirt, things could have been very different indeed.

Here's an idea: let's find someone to get it together before the campaign next time!