Monday, June 05, 2006

Primary schooling

Maggie says:
I'm too much of a nerd for early voting. I love going to the polls on the big day and gauging the energy in the air. That said, here's who I'm voting for tomorrow on Primary Day:

  • Secretary of State: Stephanie Gonzales. Democracy for New Mexico has done a fabulous job of covering all things paper ballot, and if you care about voter fraud and have no patience left for every excuse under the sun, you know that it's time for a real change. That means not taking Bernalillo County's problems to the entire state. Sorry, Mary.
  • Attorney General: Gary King. King seems eminently qualified and to be honest, the only issue I really have with Geno Zamora is that he seems awfully close to the governor, and that makes me awfully uneasy.
  • State Auditor: Thomas Buckner. Basing this one largely on the Alibi and the sense that Armijo's the flashy choice, but Buckner's the real deal.
  • Land Commissioner: Jim Baca. Can't find anything I really disagree with Ray Powell about, but I like Baca's planning record and get the sense that he'd be a great protector of this state's open space. And um, bloggers support other bloggers, okay?
  • Public Regulation Commission: Derrith Watchman-Moore. Great environmental record, great values, a progressive woman candidate... what's not to like?
  • If I lived in County District 1: Bernalillo County Commission: Loretta Naranjo-Lopez. I know that Alan Armijo's a great guy, and he certainly provides a lot of comic relief at the Bernalillo County Commission hearings, but I can't resist the lure of electing a smart, progressive woman like Lopez. I love the energy and good politics that Teresa Cordova and Deanna Archuleta-Loeser have brought to the Commission, and for my money, Lopez would only enhance what her predecessors have begun. Lopez is smart about planning, infill, and infrastructure - exactly what we need more of.
And don't forget:
Want more endorsements? See The Alibi and The Trib for their picks.