Thursday, June 15, 2006

Duke City Shootout Winners

Mikaela:
Not sure if anyone's following (or cares) about Duke City Shootout, but just in case, I'm listing the winners below. I like that Albuquerque is home to this festival, and I like the festival itself. I'm not sure how much I support the creature resulting from the fusion of those two things. I'd love it if more of an effort were made to tie the movies to themes relevant for our state -- culturally, historically, or even just ... really set here.

Regardless of my lukewarm endorsement, I'm happy to report that some Albuquerqueans made the cut (2 out of 7), showing up to dominate even the list of alternates (2 out of 5, with Santa Fe adding to the 505 representation for 3/5).

Winners are given everything they need to shoot, edit, and produce their movies in just 7 days from July 22-29. Look for them on the streets, mountains, fields, and valleys of the 505.

Winners:
UNDER MY SKIN (horror)
Stanley Ray, Albuquerque

EDDY RAY (sci-fi)
D'Artagnan (Dart) Hardiman, Albuquerque

MAKLAR, ANYONE? (sci-fi comedy)
Angela and Phil Guzzo, Milwaukie, OR

CONFESSION (drama)
Lauren Schneider, NYC

TALK ME TO DEATH (comedy)
Pamela K. Johnson, Long Beach

THE KISS (drama)
Chidiki Whitley, Indian Head, MD

DOG DAY (comedy)
Joachim Jung, Los Angeles

Alternates:
OOH LA LA (comedy)
Scott and Paula Merrow, Albuquerque

A VIRGO NIGHT (romance)
Barbara Jacksha, Santa Fe

THE HOUSE (drama)
Philip Steiner, El Granada

CATORNADO CONDITIONS (drama)
Emile Ferris, Evanston, IL

STRAIGHT SHOOTERS (comedy)
Ron Salzberg, Albuquerque, NM