Thursday, June 22, 2006

Comp Plan reveries

Maggie says:
In the Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Comprehensive Plan, the first page of the Appendices lists the members of the 1986-1988 Comprehensive Plan Revision Oversight Committee. Two names just set me off into a tailspin of fantasy.

Listed right at the top of page 166 are Ms. Ida Pearl "Skootie" Jeffers and Mr. Elmer Spoul. Now I don't know anything about Skootie and Elmer, but I sure do like imagining who they were and the hijinks they got into during the raucous days of the Plan Revision Oversight Committee.

I'm imagining heated debate over the glory of the strip mall followed by stiff drinks at some old-time Albuquerque bar that doesn't exist anymore. I bet there was sabotage and scheming and affairs and blackmail. I bet Skootie and Elmer were at the top of their game on the Oversight Committee, de facto rulers of the Duke City, in the know about everything and everyone in town.

Dingley Falls in the high desert. Dallas but... not. The Duke City machine with Skootie and Elmer at the helm, in all their shoulder-pad and brown-tied glory.

Ahhh... to be a mover and shaker in Albuquerque in the late '80s...