Saturday, October 22, 2005

Not ready to blog, but I can list!

Maggie says:
Too many words left to write to (finally!) get my master's... too few words for a real m-pyre post. I can, however, brain-fart in bulleted lists. Hopefully I'll be back smarter than ever in a few weeks. As it stands now, I can barely even read the Journal in the morning, and we all know how little stamina and thinking that takes... (ooh! look how snippy she is under stress!)

Through the haze of writing about "reflective community-government intermediaries," I'm realizing that this world of staring blankly at my laptop is full of small discoveries and tiny moments. My current lists include:

Current events

  • Even though I used to occasionally roll my eyes at Charlie Rose, I've come to the conclusion that he is actually the man. Late nights of writing without cable TV distractions can provide that kind of change in heart.
  • This Tom Delay stuff is delicious. I can't wait for that mug shot smile to come back and haunt him.
  • Go White Sox! The strangeness of cheering for Crazy Carl Everett is somehow balanced by the sinister delight of seeing Roger Clemens choke - yet again - when it finally counts.
  • I'm following Harriet Miers like everyone else, yet I can't help but feel uneasy gender stuff at the way she's been treated. I don't see the need for the press to constantly reference high heels and lipstick, nor do I think it's a sign of true gender equality that Miers is being trashed by women. The minute we start telling ourselves we're now gender-blind we lose more than this battle, we lose the war.
Life
  • Flying Star now serves hummus! This is major. FS is just blocks from my house, so it's the closest place to get online late and hopefully stumble upon an inspiring change in scenery. But if I'm not hungry enough for the tempeh burger (or not in the mood to spend $10), I used to be out of luck there. Yet now - now! - I can order the Hummus Nosh, which gives me a bowl of hummus with warm pitas, cucumbers, and tomatoes. The perfect snack. And not $10!
  • I own a car this week. Through a strange combination of borrowed/shared/unneeded cars, I've somehow never owned a car all to myself before. This week, I do. Weird.
  • Once again I'm feeling surrounded by great company here in Albuquerque. I run into amazing people doing amazing things all the time. For everyone out there making a difference in your own way - putting something new into the world, using your voice however you do it best - I feel lucky to be part of your spirit. Creative folks - and you all know who you are - are as fundamental to a great place as air. Thank god you're around, and you'd better not leave us too soon. Albuquerque needs you now more than ever.
  • To my little Community and Regional Planning class (I've had one confirmation that, ahem... my blogging habit has been discovered), you guys are great. Nothing has more recently confirmed my sometimes overly optimistic faith in humanity more than teaching CRP 265. Watch out, Albuquerque - you have some kick-ass future planners ready to make you more human. I can't wait to watch them all in action. And man, they make me laugh and laugh and laugh. What an awesome group.

Friends and Family
  • Dad: Florida.... blah. How about if I send you all my recent Nation magazines to keep you company? Not the same as Mom, but it's something...
  • The sign of a damn good friend is when she comes to your door in the midst of your writing panic bearing cheesecake. And not just any cheesecake, but Flying Star Almond Caramel Cheesecake. One slice with a cup of fresh-brewed coffee will get anyone - even me - off their ass and into writing mode. Two hours with Mikaela and her gifts of cheesecake and conversation Friday night, and I was a new woman. Remember how I was just saying that Mikaela's my cup of coffee and comfort food all at once? This is what I'm talking about.
  • Sometimes I have distinct "living through your friends" moments, and this is one of them. For instance, I hear a girlfriend describe a certain glorious moment with a certain good guy, and I feel glorious, too. And then another girlfriend tells me of a crappy moment with a crappy guy, and I feel crappy. And also like I want to tear apart men who hurt my friends. Recently someone remarked that my friends and I "have each other's backs." Well, yeah. So stupid guys who want to do stupid things, watch out. I will come after you. And nice guys who make my friends happy, I will hug you.
  • For more reasons than I can count, I have a mentor/friend/hero/boss/thesis chair who deserves all the recognition for being amazing that she can get. You know her. She's the coolest elected official ever, not to mention the best lunch date I've had in ages. Thanks, T.