Thursday, June 05, 2008

First Family?

Maggie says:
This is a very recent but not great photo, but I use it to demonstrate something that is nothing short of remarkable:

Is this going to be the First Family of the United States?



How absolutely wonderful.

It's those girls that get me every time. Those little girls, Malia and Sasha, who look nothing like any other child who's ever lived inside the White House, could be decorating their bedrooms on Pennsylvania Ave in a few months. What does that say to the millions of little girls in this country who look like them? It's amazing to me.

While I'm being all touchy-feeling, I might as well also mention that the way the Obamas are together affects me, too. It's the fist-pumps, the hugs, the grins, the whispers, the way they look right into each other's eyes and manage to have private moment on a stage in a stadium of 15,000 people. I love how real that is, absent of the contrived expression exchange or forced kiss or awkward hug. It's a true partnership, and that body language can't be faked.

I'm so ready for the general. And I'm beside myself at the thought of what the next First Family portrait could look like, and what that couple's partnership could feel like, and what that means for the rest of us.