Monday, August 15, 2005

More on Sheehan

Maggie says:
Last week I wrote about Cindy Sheehan, a story getting lots of press now, much to my delight. Here's a follow-up.

In response to Sheehan's presence outside of his Crawford ranch, Bush recently noted:

"...Whether it be here or in Washington or anywhere else, there's somebody who has got something to say to the president, that's part of the job," Bush said on the ranch. "And I think it's important for me to be thoughtful and sensitive to those who have got something to say."

"But," he added, "I think it's also important for me to go on with my life, to keep a balanced life."
Can you imagine a less sensitive statement? To a woman mourning her son who was killed as a direct result of his decisions, Bush wishes she would just go away so he can get on with his life? What about her son not being able to get on with his life? What about Cindy Sheehan trying to get on with her life in a meaningful way, one that Bush refuses to acknowledge?

What happened to a real understanding of loss of life and what that means? What happened to personal responsibility? What happened to decency? This man makes me so ashamed.