Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Internet Wish for a Sweater Freak

Mikaela says:
In this whole big-ole world wide web, I cannot find a single site that allows you to look up great clothes (okay, sweaters) from movies or t.v.

I've had three moments of intense sweater envy in the past year, and each occurance leaves me scouring the internet for information. I can find the costume director's name, but unless the movie is some kind of freak classic, you can't find crap. I want a searchable database.

Aren't clothes companies really missing out by not insisting that movies help them advertise the clothes our favorite characters wear? I mean, watch one game show or talk show, and you know who furnished that day's outfit... Movies? Zip. Zilch. Nada.

My dedicated and internet-addicted apologist partner heard me complain and promptly did his own search. He did find one blog that had selected items. But not searchable. Not complete. Not nearly the opportunity for marketing clothes companies might need to entice them to put pressure on busy costume directors to keep track of the myriad outfits they create.

Still.

The sweaters on my list are these:

  • Brown cardigan Charlize Theron wears at home from In the Valley of Elah
  • Brown cardigan worn by one of the aunts in Dan in Real Life
  • Grey cardigan worn by Gwyneth Paltrow in Proof
Note, if you will, that these movies were not compelling enough to keep me from fixating on the great sweaters worn by moving, speaking women manequins. But to be honest, the movies could have been ten times better, and I still would have wondered, "Where can I buy that great sweater?"

For a girl that hates shopping but loves movies and researching random crap on the internet... this a HUGE untapped niche market just begging for someone to fill it.

Or, to be more precise, I'm begging for someone to fill it.

Finders fee, anyone?

Ready, set ... SEARCH.