Thursday, September 25, 2008

"I'll bring 'em to ya"

Maggie says:
Did anyone hear or see clips of Katie Couric's Sarah Palin interview last night or this morning? WOW.

Once again we see Palin ignoring the specific questions in order to recite campaign talking points, taking very long pauses after a question is asked, and trying to use her "aw shucks" charm to get out of a tough moment.

To think the McCain camp is trying to get out of the VP debate with a straight face!

Video here (if I wasn't at work - thanks corporate filter! - I'd load the video onto this post, bc you've gotta see it).

My favorite part:

Couric: But [McCain]'s been in Congress for 26 years. He's been chairman of the powerful Commerce Committee. And he has almost always sided with less regulation, not more.

Palin: He's also known as the maverick though, taking shots from his own party, and certainly taking shots from the other party. Trying to get people to understand what he's been talking about - the need to reform government.

Couric: But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?

Palin: I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.

Couric: I'm just going to ask you one more time - not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation.

Palin: I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.

Side note: Palin's accent kills me. You've gotta watch the video to see the transcript come to life.

I also love Couric doing this interview, because the gender dynamic there is neutralized. Palin's "aw shucks"-ness, her big smiles after giving an answer that is completely preposterous, go absolutely nowhere with Couric. They didn't go anywhere with Charlie Gibson either, but having a woman interviewing Palin prevents that sexist critique McCain so loves to apply to professional interviews. Sitting next to an intelligent, professional, aware woman like Couric, Palin's inexperience screams even louder.