Friday, September 12, 2008

A morning wrap-up

Maggie reports:
From my inbox this morning, a women's roundtable on Palin:

MB: "I didn't stay up for this...but I'm reading about it this morning on Slate. This is by far my favorite passage in the article: 'Palin attempts to fake it for 25 seconds with a swirl of generalities before Gibson, showing all the gentleness of a remedial social studies teacher, interjects.'"

Me: "That clip played on NPR this morning and it was squirmingly good. Of course, she's so full of over-confident crap she doesn't realize once how embarrassed she should be. Also, she said 'nucular' three times. Really."

Y: "She also ignored his calling her out as hubris. Maybe she doesn't know what hubris means?"

Me: "'Straight-talkers' don't use words like hubris. :-) "

MB: "The scary thing to me is that, predictably, Fox news had a headline of 'Palin: Ready to Lead' in regards to this interview. Where in contrast, The Nation's article said something to the effect of 'Ready to lead? She wasn't even ready for this interview.'"

H: "This was on in the background when I was getting ready at the gym last night. I heard her stumble over the Bush Doctrine question. Fortunately, I was standing by a fan to cool off which drowned out most of her annoying accent. Thank God I couldn't see the TV from where I was standing. She annoys the HELL out of me!!! Did y'all see Matt Damon's comments on her? He was hilarious. He basically said that McCain will most likely die in office and she will be our next president. Scary!"

MB: "Matt Damon also said that he demands to know if she thinks dinosaurs were here 4,000 years ago, and that we need to know this because she'd have the "nucular" codes! He seemed so serious; I don't know if he meant to be funny."

H: "I wondered about that comment, too. Did she say somewhere that she thought dinosaurs were here 4,000 years ago?! God help us!"

(Cue our veering off to discuss Matt Damon's hotness, which obviously I started...)

Video clip of Charlie Gibson's interview with Sarah Palin here.