Tuesday, September 27, 2005

First World Cocaine Users

marjorie says...

I have to admit that I've followed the Kate Moss cocaine drama as it's played out. Sure, there's all the lurid aspects: drugs, sex, rich and famous pretty people. But there's also the whole issue of female sexuality--about super skinny models held up as the ideal feminine form. This is such an amazing moment for the reality to bleed through: staying that skinny often requires destructive habits, namely drugs (including smoking) or eating disorders.

I've had a tendency to nod my head in agreement with her supporters, who've also condemned the hypocrisy of holding her up as evil in a climate in which drug use is rampant. And, this episode has also drawn out my "that poor girl" tendencies. I admit it. But, still, I haven't been able to be real public about this stuff...because, really, how can we really feel sorry for Kate Moss? The super privileged Kate Moss? Sure, she's human but she's also...hmmm...what is it exactly? I haven't been able to put my finger on it *exactly*.

Thank goodness there are others to cut through the fog for me. From the blogger La Pistola over on the myspace website:

"yeah, so everyone has seen by now that Kate Moss has lost something like $27 million in modeling contracts due to those dandy pictures of her snorting up four lines at the random party.

"Sorry, Katie. But I mean, where do I get off being such a snob about the white powder? Doesn't Pistola know that this is part of the glamorous life for those who are in the public eye (or wish they were)?

"Well, sure I know that. I've worked for attorneys, remember? And I went to college at a jazz school, I've modeled, I know lots of musicians. Yeah, I know that people who blow the white powder think it's part of their birthright to do that more or less publicly and not give a rat's ass.

"For me personally, however, the reason I don't blow coke is the same reason I don't shop at Wal-Mart.

"You know, I just don't get off on the reality of poor women being forced to swallow condoms full of coke and to serve as transport mules across international borders.

"I don't like the reality of women and children and old people being killed with guerrilla guns bought with coke money.

"I don't like looking at pictures of civilian Colombians starving to death while the people who produce coke fly private jets over the countryside and take whatever they want.

"I don't like the idea of giving money that I worked for to some drug dealer here, in this country, who is probably less than a stellar human being full of concern for his fellow man.

"Call it moralistic if you like. But what you're really putting up your nose is concentrated human misery, suffering, death, and injustice. Every last gram of it. There are drugs (peyote, mushrooms, marijuana) that can be locally produced and cultivated with no significant harm to large groups of people, and which can even be used within contexts that can be considered helpful. Cocaine, however, is not one of those drugs.

"If people want that kind of karma, they can do whatever they like, but I personally choose to pass.

"I'll get my fun elsewhere.

"And I ain't sorry for Kate Moss."


mmmm hmmmm

Yes, I agree with La Pistola. First world cocaine markets are responsible for a lot of misery in cocaine producing regions (a la "men with guns" including the U.S. military) ... it ain't the other way around. And of course, this goes for all of us not just Kate Moss. Don't use the white powder, if not because it ruins your health (which is reason enough) then because the production of it hurts so many people.