Thursday, September 29, 2005

Green Makes Green

Mikaela says:
Good news for environmental conservation...maybe.

Green building is finally being picked up by developers and utilities as a good idea. Why? Because it's finally financially beneficial.

Great story in today's L.A. Times. I won't copy the whole thing (I know, I know, I do a lot of that!), but here's a telling quote by a utility company rep on why the sudden embrace of green technology:

"We've changed our mind-set. Conserving water was an oxymoron for us five years ago. But as water has become more political, we've changed our thinking. Now we see ourselves as stewards. And we need to get serious and put our money where our mouths are."

And one from a developer: ""I'm not doing [green developments] because I'm a tree hugger. I'm doing them because, first of all, there are economic benefits. The fact that there are also environmental and social benefits makes it just that much more logical."

Oh, good. As long as he knows where his values are!!! Doing the right thing is just a nice little side-bennie. What a kicker.