Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Bless you, Massachusetts

Maggie says:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: There's no place like Massachusetts.

Massachusetts sets health plan for nearly all.

This recently sick and uninsured person is watching. Are the rest of you? How about the other 49 states?

It just cost me $150 to diagnose and treat strep throat. Sitting in urgent care over the weekend looking around the waiting room, all I could think was how awful it must be to have children without health insurance. The burden must be unimaginable.

Tying health insurance to jobs isn't fair. Especially in an age when companies are doing all they can not to dish out benefits to begin with. I should know, since I'm at hired at only 30 hours right now, just under eligibilty for health care.

As the article notes, the Massachusetts approach isn't "crazy liberal," but balanced and pulling from a variety of health care policies. It's doable.

As one of the country's only states in the black right now - and with a sizeable chunk of its citizens uninsured - New Mexico should be next.