Thursday, April 20, 2006

BLOG-IN: Remember $7.50?

Maggie says:
A bit ago folks were passing out NM$7.50 stickers. Remember those? They looked just like our fantastically bright license plates. I have one stuck onto the back door of my house. Just the sight of them made me sad tonight.

I remember NM$7.50 Day at the Roundhouse. Marjorie and I were there with SWOP and loads of people from around the state. The halls and rotunda were packed with folks who really cared, who wanted to make a difference, who wanted the right thing done for the people of New Mexico.

This initiative is going to pass - and I'm all about looking on the bright side and being strategic when you need to - but I have to wonder what's been lost in the process. The air is deflated here, the spirit weaker than you'd expect.

When I think of Albuquerque and New Mexico's minimum wage fights, I won't remember today. But I will remember NM$7.50 Day. How could we not?

Don't know what this whole blog-in thing is? Follow the action here.