Friday, December 14, 2007

Centering

Mikaela says:
Well, I'm on a roll. Much as my Scrooge-post makes me out to be agonized every second over this whole Christmas thing, I'm really not spending much time on it. Really!

Instead, I'm trying, as always, to keep some perspective. Actually, to keep multiple perspectives!

This morning, I'm thankful to Maggie's niece for reminding me that Christmas holds wonder for many people. And I'm thankful, as I often am, for the jarring perspective from the fascinating and mysterious "Or Does It Explode" blog that focuses on bringing freedom to the Middle East -- from a grassroots effort of communities to change in the ways they choose, versus our version -- democracy at the point of a gun.

I try not to make assumptions about who this blogger is, but the questions keep coming -- Is it someone inside a Middle East country? In America? In Europe? A woman? A man? A student? Multiple people? Not sure, and I'm not sure I want to know. I try to take the articles for what they're worth and just be thankful for a slightly different perspective than I get from anywhere else -- a window into a world that my country only fears. It's telling to me that the blog chooses not to reveal any "about me" information. What a world! What courage to write from the belly of a beast that has no "outside." You tell me. From which country would it be safe to write from this perspective? And if it is from inside Tehran? Think of the consequences if the blogger were ever exposed!

From a few days ago, this story on a student protest in Iran. Didn't hear about it? Me, either. As I said, this blog is a great reminder that the news we get is not the news of the world. We are not the center. We are hardly leaders in any way!


This morning my heart-felt solidarity goes to these young women in Iran, risking their lives, most likely, to protest for their freedom and independence. As the mysterious blogger says, "You go, girls! Keep it coming."