Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Sandra Day's legacy

marjorie says...

Thanks to DfNM for posting Al Gore's Nobel acceptance speech, and for pulling out this quote:

"Seven years ago tomorrow, I read my own political obituary in a judgment that seemed to me harsh and mistaken - if not premature. But that unwelcome verdict also brought a precious if painful gift: an opportunity to search for fresh new ways to serve my purpose. Unexpectedly that quest has brought me here."

I agree with Al Gore that it was a mistaken, and premature, decision. But I also think it was profoundly mistaken that it was decided by the Supreme Court in the first place. I hope that we never again find ourselves in a position where the Supreme Court decides the Presidency. I'm not a scholar, but from my lay perspective the Supreme Court is becoming increasingly polarized along political lines, with that particular instance forever going down in our history as setting a dangerous precedent. And I fear it will forever be attached to Sandra Day O'Connor in the minds of progressives. I think this is unfortunate, because she's a brilliant woman who fell on our side of the equation in her decisions on plenty of occasions. Maybe someone will ask her about that decision in 2000 when she speaks on Thursday night at the Kiva Auditorium. I wonder if her perspectives on it have evolved over the past seven years. Regardless, I think her legacy is strong and look forward to hearing what she has to say.