Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscar night, at last!

Maggie says:
Tonight is so much fun for me... I've been writing here and there about my Oscar picks, but realized I hadn't put them all together yet. So if I were an Academy member, here's what my ballot would say:

Best Supporting Actress: Amy Ryan. Wow.

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem. DUH, and not just because of my huge crush.

Best Actress: Tie! I'm completely torn between Julie Christie and Marion Cotillard, and yes, I know how lame that is. Although honestly, if I were filling the ballot out this minute I'd vote Cotillard.

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis. What a monster, and a monstrous performance.

Best Adapted Screenplay: No Country for Old Men.

Best Original Screenplay: Juno.

Best Song: "Falling Slowly," from Once.
I adored this movie, and this is the best weaving of song and plot I can remember.

Best Documentary: No End in Sight.
While I was moved by the heartfelt ending of Sicko, No End in Sight was masterfully done, and remarkably effective.

Best Director: Eek! Yes, I'm lame again. I continue to love the brilliance of the Coen brothers, but also think Paul Thomas Anderson redefined himself this year. The Co-Bros probably win out for me, though.

Best Picture: No Country for Old Men. Loved it... it's the one that'll keep haunting people years from now.